Skip to main content (Press Enter).
US Army Corps of Engineers
St. Paul District Website
Previous District Commanders
St. Paul District Hall of Fame
National & Regional Awards
District Departments & Offices
Business With Us
Engineering & Construction
Flood Risk Management
Programs & Project Management
Regional Planning Division North
Locks & Dams
Upper St. Anthony Falls
Lower St. Anthony Falls
Lock & Dam 1
Lock & Dam 2
Lock & Dam 3
Lock & Dam 4
Lock & Dam 5
Lock & Dam 5A
Lock & Dam 6
Lock & Dam 7
Lock & Dam 8
Lock & Dam 9
Lock & Dam 10
Channel Condition Report
Dredged Material Management Plan
Corps Island Unloading project
Mississippi Managers Meeting
Eau Galle Recreation Area
Lac qui Parle
Lake Ashtabula - Baldhill Dam
Pokegama Recreation Area
Sandy Lake construction
Permitting Process & Procedures
Regulatory Team Contact Information
District Maps & Locations
Freedom of Information Act
Public Notice RSS Feed
Social Media Guidelines
Freedom of Information Act
News Story Archive
Contact Public Affairs
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
St. Paul District
Public Affairs Office
180 5th St. E., Suite 700
St. Paul, MN 55101
Phone: (651) 290-5807
Fax: (651) 290-5752
History of the Headwaters Recreation Areas
The Mississippi River Headwaters dams, located in north central Minnesota, were constructed and placed in operation between 1884 and 1912. Maj. General Warren, the first St. Paul District commander, noted the importance of the Mississippi River Headwaters area during field surveys in the 1860s. Less than 10 years later, Congress authorized a feasibility study to determine whether a series of dams and reservoirs could aid in stabilizing water flow in the Mississippi River between St. Paul, Minnesota, and Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. As a result, a system of dams capable of raising water levels and storing annual spring runoff from six existing lake systems was designated. These structures are located at the outlets of Gull Lake, Leech Lake, Big Sandy Lake, Cross Lake, Pokegama Lake and Lake Winnibigoshish. Two of these lakes, Leech and Winnibigoshish, are located within the Leech Lake Indian Reservation.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District, uses the Dredge William L. Goetz to help maintain 850 miles of the Upper Mississippi River, 335 miles of the Illinois River and other inland rivers. The St. Paul District acquired it in the spring of 2005.
Red River Flood of 2009
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District, declared a victory late April 2009 after facing massive flooding in the Red River of the North river valley for more than a month-and-a-half. By the end of the fight, the district had distributed 11.3 million sandbags, 4,201 rolls of plastic and 136 pumps, as well as let 50 contracts, built approximately 70 miles of emergency levee and spent more than $32 million.
Floods of 1997
The St. Paul District faced one of its biggest challenges ever when, in the timeframe of around six weeks in 1997, it simultaneously fought floods in three river basins – the Red, the Minnesota and the Mississippi.
Engineering the Falls: The Corps of Engineers' Role at St. Anthony Falls
People have always been drawn to the power and beauty of St. Anthony Falls. For Native Americans, the falls possessed religious significance and harbored powerful spirits. For the early European and American explorers, the falls provided a landmark in a vast wilderness, as well as an interesting geological phenomenon. During the 19th century, settlers, tourists and artists were drawn to St. Anthony Falls' picturesque beauty, while entrepreneurs seized the water power of the falls for their lumber and flour mills. Meanwhile, promoters of river transportation viewed St. Anthony Falls as an obstacle to be overcome, as they dreamed of extending navigation on the Mississippi River above Minneapolis.
Mission complete: District cuts the ribbon at the Roseau, Minnesota, project
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District, celebrated the completion of its Roseau, Minnesota, Flood Damage Reduction Project with a ribbon cutting ceremony in Roseau, Aug. 18.
Wilmes returns to lead recreation, natural resources section
After working in six different districts and four divisions during his 27-year career, the new St. Paul District recreation and natural resources chief has returned to where it all began.
Bostick visits the St. Paul District
The Chief of Engineers and Commanding General of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Lt. Gen. Thomas Bostick made a whirlwind visit to the St. Paul District, Sept. 1-2.
Dredge W.A. Thompson and early dredging
In 1930 the 9-foot draft channel was legislated by Congress to increase commerce on the river. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began construction of the series of 29 locks and dams between St. Louis and Minneapolis, creating a stairway of water for river traffic. Since the river is constantly shifting its load of sand and sediment and tributaries along the way contribute more it is necessary to remove the material from the bottom of the channel to prevent a closure to navigation. This process of underwater excavation is called dredging.
St. Paul District Engineers
The district is turning 150 years old in 2016. I have to admit I have never thought much about what
The Old Post Office Building and the Digitization of the St. Paul District
I started working for the St Paul District in March of 1980. At that time the district office was in the main Post Office on Kellogg Boulevard between Sibley and Jackson streets. The building was built in the 1930s by the Works Progress Administration.
Hiram M. Chittenden
Captain Hiram M. Chittenden’s photograph appears on the wall outside the executive office of St. Paul District. Chittenden served as temporary district engineer for four months in 1901, during which time he gets credit for the conversion of Leech Lake Dam from a timber to a concrete structure and the design of Twin Cities Lock and Dam #2. Chittenden was assigned to St. Paul District for much of his career, more than those four brief months of command.
One of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers St. Paul District’s claim to fame is renowned photographer Henry Bosse. Bosse was born in Prussia Nov. 13, 1844. He immigrated to the United States in 1865; and by, 1870, he was working in a book and stationary shop in Chicago. He began working for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Chicago in 1874 and was soon transferred to the Corps’ River and Harbor Improvement Office in St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1878, he transferred to the Corps’ Rock Island District.
The Boatyard: History of the Fountain City Service Base
For 100 years, the Fountain City, Wisconsin, Boatyard has played an essential role in supporting the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ efforts to improve navigation on the Upper Mississippi River. These efforts have included the 4 ½-foot channel project (1878-1907), the 6-foot channel project (1907-1930) and the 9-foot channel project (1930-present).
Blackhawk Park site of battle
A lone marker recognizing sacred ground stands at Blackhawk Park, located near DeSoto, Wis. Every year Native American groups visit the park and the surrounding area to pay respect and remember a past. The inscripted stone marks where one of the last Indian-American battles east of the Mississippi River occurred more than 180 years past.
Origin of the Navigation System
Along with their best suits, the delegation packed the hopes and dreams of the entire Northwest – from the farmers in the hinterland to the captains of commerce in St. Paul, Minnesota, and from the merchants on Main Street to the pillars of industry in Minneapolis.
Corps commander imparts knowledge to cadets, midshipmen
Col. Dan Koprowski, St. Paul District commander, spoke to more than 150 U.S. Army cadets and U.S. Navy midshipmen at the University of Minnesota on Oct. 14.
Harpers Slough restoration gains ground
After years of degradation, Mississippi River islands near Lansing, Iowa, are receiving much needed attention.