Pumps and Supplies

Under the authority of Public Law 84-99, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers can provide technical flood-fighting supplies to local organizations, cities, counties, states, and tribes actively engaged in flood response. The Corps can also provide technical assistance during the setup, operation, removal, and repackaging process of the products.  Additionally, through mission assignment by the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Corps can provide this support following a storm or other natural disaster.  

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers St. Paul District maintains a supply of sandbags and pumps at two locations.  If additional supplies are needed, the St. Paul District coordinates with its sister district in Rock Island.  As the Corps’ national supplier of Innovative Flood Fight Products and the Regional Flood Fight Product Distribution Center in the Midwest, the Rock Island District maintains a supply of conventional and large sandbags, plastic sheeting, pumps, and flood-fight systems such as HESCO Bastion barriers and Portadam.  The Rock Island District also maintains contracts for procurement of supplies to ensure consistency and availability.

See our Pumps and Supplies Fact Sheet for details on the different types of materiel and equipment available from the Corps. 


Criteria for Obtaining Supplies

  • Supplies and equipment from the Corps can only be used to protect public facilities and infrastructure.
  • The public sponsor is responsible for providing labor to assemble, operate, disassemble, and repackage the material used; provide equipment and fill material necessary for the use of the products; and sign a receipt for responsibility of issued products.
  • Loaned supplies and equipment must be returned in the same condition as they were when lent, replaced in kind, or reimbursement made to USACE.


How to Obtain Supplies:

Submit your request through the local-county-state emergency management chain.  Your state Emergency Management organization will submit the request to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers St. Paul District if all other resources have been committed.  Tribes have the option of contacting the Corps directly (using the contact information located in the column to the right and on our main page), or coordinating their request with the state.

Emergency Management Contact Information

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
St. Paul District
Emergency Management

332 Minnesota St., Suite E1500
St. Paul, MN 55101

Phone: 651-290-5210
Fax: 651-290-5212