The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Flood Plain Management Services Program is authorized by Section 206 of the Flood Control Act of the 1960, as amended. Under this program, the Corps is authorized, upon request by other federal, non-federal, local entities or tribes, to provide a full range of technical services and planning guidance on floods and floodplain issues.
Flood Plain Management Services typically include the following:
- Providing flood hazard evaluations to any and all interests;
- Interpreting existing flood data, primarily hydraulic and hydrologic information;
- Developing data on the extent, depth and frequency of flooding;
- Disseminating/developing information on nonstructural options, such as flood proofing and floodplain evacuation;
- Developing emergency evacuation plans for cities and counties;
- Developing comprehensive flood warning systems;
- Posting signs in the floodplains of communities or counties indicating the 100-year flood elevation;
- Determining flood susceptibility of structures for flood insurance purposes; and
- Developing flood plan management plans.
How to Request a Study
A Flood Plain Management Services study may be initiated after receipt of a formal request from the prospective client. This request and any further inquiries concerning floodplain management services or the fee schedule should be made directly to:
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
St. Paul District
ATTN: Project Management
332 Minnesota St., Suite E1500
St. Paul, Minnesota 55101
This is in reference to your Flood Plain Management Services Program. We understand that Section 206 of the Flood Control Act of 1960, as amended, authorizes the Corps to help others mitigate flood losses. The [requesting agency, Indian tribe or private citizen] requests assistance for [body of water or waterway] located in [city, township,], in [county, state].
[Add a brief description of the problem or need].
Property descriptions, are enclosed. Upon your review of this initial request, we would like to discuss the availability of information, required schedule and level of effort required (to identify the appropriate charges if applicable).
Please contact [name, title, phone number] to arrange a further discussion of this request.
Signed: Signature of Cooperating Agency or Individual Date: (date)