There are seven primary functions of the Operations Division:
- Construction: We provide construction contract management to government agencies.
- Flood Damage Reduction: We own and operate 16 vital flood damage reduction reservoirs and annually inspect more than 100 flood damage reduction levees, channel improvements and bank protection projects.
- Navigation: We operate and maintain 13 locks and dams and maintain the 9-foot navigation channel on the Upper Mississippi River.
- Readiness: Our emergency management branch handles the district's mobilization in the event of natural and national disasters, such as earthquakes and floods, and manages the Corps' authorities under PL 84-99 and PL 288 as amended by the Stafford Act.
- Recreation: We administer 49 recreation areas, annually providing more than 50 million hours of enjoyment.
- Regulatory/Permits: Our regulatory branch is responsible for issuing permits under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act and Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act, as well as associated enforcement activities.
- Water Supply: Our reservoirs provide municipal and industrial water for five communities in western Minnesota and North Dakota.