Home > About > History > 150th Anniversary
Crosscurrents 150th Anniversary Special Edition cover
Crosscurrents Special Anniversary Edition 1866-2016
Celebrating 150 years of service to the Upper Midwest.
An 8-foot bronze statue of Maj. Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren, the district’s first commander, stands atop Little Round Top at the Battle of Gettysburg.
Maj. Gouverneur Kimble Warren, first commander of the St. Paul District
Maj. Gouverneur Kimble Warren was the first district engineer of the St. Paul District. After the Civil War, he came to St. Paul in 1866 and began work surveying the Mississippi, Chippewa, St. Croix and Wisconsin Rivers.
Map of the Mississippi River Headwaters reservoirs
History of the Mississippi River Headwaters reservoirs
The Mississippi River Headwaters dams, located in north central Minnesota, were constructed and placed in operation between 1884 and 1912. Maj. Gouverneur Kimble Warren, the first St. Paul District commander, noted the importance of the Mississippi River Headwaters area during field surveys in the 1860s.
Henry Bosse photo
Henry Bosse
One of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District’s claim to fame is renowned photographer Henry Bosse.

150th Anniversary Vignettes

Blackhawk Park site of battle

A lone marker recognizing sacred ground stands at Blackhawk Park, located near DeSoto, Wis. Every year Native American groups visit the park and the surrounding area to pay respect and remember a past. The inscripted stone marks where one of the last Indian-American battles east of the Mississippi River occurred more than 180 years past.
Published: 10/15/2015

Bosse navigation charts in the new century

As commercial navigation becomes more dependent upon electronic technology, the use of paper navigation charts like the hand written ones completed by Henry Bosse in the early 1900s and used on the Dredge Thomson until 2005 are becoming a thing of the past.
Published: 9/25/2012

Dredge Goetz

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Paul District, uses the Dredge William L. Goetz to help maintain 850 miles of the Upper Mississippi River, 335 miles of the Illinois River and other inland rivers. The St. Paul District acquired it in the spring of 2005.
Published: 10/28/2015

Dredge W.A. Thompson and early dredging

In 1930 the 9-foot draft channel was legislated by Congress to increase commerce on the river. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began construction of the series of 29 locks and dams between St. Louis and Minneapolis, creating a stairway of water for river traffic. Since the river is constantly shifting its load of sand and sediment and tributaries along the way contribute more it is necessary to remove the material from the bottom of the channel to prevent a closure to navigation. This process of underwater excavation is called dredging.
Published: 10/27/2015

Engineering the Falls: The Corps of Engineers' Role at St. Anthony Falls

People have always been drawn to the power and beauty of St. Anthony Falls. For Native Americans, the falls possessed religious significance and harbored powerful spirits. For the early European and American explorers, the falls provided a landmark in a vast wilderness, as well as an interesting geological phenomenon. During the 19th century, settlers, tourists and artists were drawn to St. Anthony Falls' picturesque beauty, while entrepreneurs seized the water power of the falls for their lumber and flour mills. Meanwhile, promoters of river transportation viewed St. Anthony Falls as an obstacle to be overcome, as they dreamed of extending navigation on the Mississippi River above Minneapolis.
Published: 10/27/2015

150th Anniversary logo

Celebrating 150 years